The Materials Engineering Technician performs field and/or laboratory testing, observation, and inspection of construction materials (e.g. soils, aggregates, concrete, asphalt, and steel). The technician communicates with project managers, engineering technicians, client representatives, contractor’s representatives and others, as applicable, regarding the construction site, project requirements, and testing, observation, and inspection requirements and results. The technician transports material samples with associated identifying documentation to the laboratory for further testing and analysis. The technician will also tabulate, prepare, and submit data and observations in the form of written and digital reports as work is performed for daily transmittal to the Project Manager. The technician is responsible for maintaining and cleaning equipment, vehicles and work areas. They may also assist with scheduling and dispatch of Technicians to project sites. All employees must adhere to strict safety standards.
· Performs testing, observation, and inspection as directed in accordance with training and the specified procedures.
· Provides clear documentation of findings and results.
· Performs basic analysis of data to verify accuracy before communication and submittal to the Project Manager.
· Communicates information to Project Manager and other personnel as directed by the PM.
· Has experience and proficiency in multiple areas of field testing and inspection and or laboratory testing
· Trains lower level technicians
· May direct and supervise activities of other engineering technicians in the laboratory or on larger field projects.
· May interact with client and other site personnel on behalf of the Project Manager when directed
· May assist Project Manager in development of scope for testing and inspection services
· Maintains equipment operation and calibration.
· Performs advanced fieldwork and assists with project management.
· Plan, schedule and dispatch Technicians to project sites based on technician skill set, certifications, location, project, and priority.
· Coordinate pre-dispatch activities with Project, Department, and/or Office Managers.
· Track projects including contractor site data and status into Construction Materials and Laboratory Management System (CMELMS).
· Communicate with clients to provide up to date information in regard to the company’s ability to meet expected project timelines, client needs for projects and project status.
· Follow safety rules and practices and other safety requirements for all projects. Performs pre-task planning prior to executing work. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
· Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
Minimum 5-10 years of relevant experience or the equivalent in training and related experience.
Experience with laptop computer use and Microsoft Word and Excel
ACI certification in one or more of the following areas:
· Concrete Field Testing Technician Grade I
· Concrete Strength Testing Technician
· Certified in radiation safety and Nuclear Density Gauge operation.
· Successful completion of related internal safety certifications.
· Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history
Certifications in one or more of the following areas:
· NICET Level III certification in Construction Materials Testing
· NICET Level III in at least one of the following categories: Asphalt, Concrete, Soils.
· NICET Level III certification in Geotechnical in Construction, Laboratory, Exploration, and/or Generalist
· ICC certification(s) in Reinforced Concrete, Spray-applied Fireproofing, Structural Masonry, Prestressed/Post-Tensioned Concrete, Structural Steel – Bolting, and/or Structural Steel – Welding.
· American Welding Society (AWS) Senior Certified Welding Inspector (SCWI)
· American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) Level III certification in Visual Testing (VT), Magnetic Particle Testing (MT), Dye Penetrant Testing (PT), Radiographic Testing (RT), and/or Ultrasonic Testing (UT).
· Other national, regional, state, and local Materials related certifications requiring experience and written examination will also be considered if deemed appropriate by the Department Manager.
High school diploma or equivalent.