The ideal candidate for this position will possess a current PE (or EIT) license in the State of California and desire to obtain their GE license. Initially responsible for the day-to-day management of all laboratory testing activities, reporting, workload assignment, etc. Regularly participate in the preparation of geotechnical studies and investigations associated with primarily commercial, government, and DSA school projects. Must have a proven track-record of performance in management, a strong work-ethic, and desire to participate as a team player.
· Duties include management and oversight of a construction and engineering testing laboratory, Quality Systems program & Laboratory Accreditation Programs.
· Responsible for the performance of routine field and laboratory tests related to soil mechanics, aggregates, asphalt concrete, concrete, shotcrete, masonry, steel, coatings analysis, roofing materials, and fireproofing products.
· Participate in the preparation of geotechnical recommendations related to building foundations, pavement designs, bridges, landfills, soil liners, retention ponds, communication towers and other elements requiring the involvement of a geotechnical engineer.
· Assisting with initial site reconnaissance plan, subconsultant coordination and management, field explorations and sampling, data evaluation, laboratory soil characteristic and
·strength testing program, regulatory research, and preparation of final geotechnical reports.
· Experience with deep foundation systems including drilled pier, caissons, auger cast piles, pipe piles, prestressed concrete piles, etc.
· Experience with OSHPD, DSA Code Requirements
· Experience Managing Quality Systems associated with AMRL, CCRL, DSA Laboratory Acceptance Programs a plus
· Minimum 3-5 years of related geotechnical experience
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience in laboratory and field testing
· Minimum of 3 years’ experience in concrete laboratory management
· Experience with budget management, change orders and contract administration procedures
· Computer experience including CAD, gINT, Geosystems, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access
· Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
· Ability to prepare and present at proposal presentation, project start up and management meetings
· Self-motivated and results driven capable of working without oversight through self-direction
· Consistently able to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines independent of regular supervision
· Good technical report writing skills
· Ability to manage multiple project assignments and be responsible for project profitability.
· Ability to properly follow directions, perform in a responsible and independent manner
with minimal oversight and foster professional relationships with customers, contractors and fellow employees.
· California-licensed Professional Civil Engineer and/or Geotechnical Engineer
· Undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering required, post graduate preferred
· Master of Science degree in soil mechanics engineering or a closely related field is desired
· ACI field Testing technician Grade 1
· ACI Strength Testing
· ACI Aggregate Testing
· Caltrans Test Methods
· NICET Certification Level 3 for Soils Concrete and Asphalt